Tuesday 28 January 2014

The Library Catalogue

I enjoy the social features of our online library catalogue. On the catalogue, I use the username Rainey (as one would expect).

My favorite social feature in the catalogue is the Lists feature. I have existing lists on a couple of different topics: the stuff I've borrowed and finished in 2014, my favorite picture books (I had a small collection of my own even before I started collecting nephews), and a few lists promoting collections in the Electronic Library New Brunswick.

The list I update the most often, and refer to most often, is my list Books I'm Waiting to be Published ... I'm one of those folks who likes to know of when the next book is coming out from an author I enjoy or a series I adore. I use this list to keep track of the schedule of when these books are coming out.

This list uses a feature that I really appreciate about BiblioCommons: you can list things that aren't in the catalogue, or aren't in the catalogue YET. If you search for a book to add to your list and don't find it, you get the option to import it from Amazon. I've done that for books that haven't come out yet, annotated the list with their expected date of publication, and sorted my list in publication order. Geeky, huh?



You also have the option to add a web address to a list. I'm thinking of making a list of the local histories and related resources that I'm reading after "The Town That Drowned". If I do, I can add the interesting thesis I'm reading about the Mactaquac Dam to the list as web resource.

On Goodreads, I'm Rainey, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment